Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Brown Rice & Lentils















[the photo is totally poached off of the internet... it's not what I cooked... sorry I just didn't have time to take a shot, but it looks about the same, minus the greens]

Last night I had one of the least expensive meals of my life. I went to Ralph’s and bought a bag of lentils ($1.50) and fresh garlic (50 cents). I already had some brown jasmine rice from Trader Joe’s and the olive oil… so that didn’t really factor into the financial equation.


Anyway, brown rice and lentils are just perfect together. It’s just the right balance of protein and high fiber carbs. Lentils do not need soaking contrary to popular belief… just rinse them, boil them on the stovetop until they’re soft (30-40 minutes). Cook your brown rice (it takes about the same amount of time for each). And combine the two together… it’s really that simple. Add some olive oil and salt to the rice while cooking.

I called my Dad and sister for advice as I often do, they recommended chopping garlic and sautéing it in olive oil and adding that to the lentils as they were cooking. I also had some extra zucchini in the fridge, so I cooked up some fresh zucchini as a side dish and we were all set.

I cooked half of the package of lentils and two cups of brown rice, and it served two hungry men and now I have leftovers for lunch today (and probably dinner again).
 If I were to do this again I might add in some low sodium chicken stock at the end to add some moisture… other than that it was delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment