Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day is over, time to get back on the wagon!

Ok, so Memorial Day is over, now it's time to get back on the wagon.  I promised last week that I would put together a list of what to do with your staples... but of course I left off a couple items from the list that I want to post about today. So instead I'm going to post about today's lunch - and I'll get to staples later tonight.

I went to Trader Joe's last night to get some more food (chicken and Ezekiel wraps, amonst other things). I cooked up some more brown rice, and grilled some chicken on the BBQ. I shredded the chicken and put it into a container, and strained some canned black beans (didn't have time to do dry beans this time). I put the strained beans into another container, and then put the cooked brown rice into another. We have a small lemon tree on the roof where I live, so I got a free lemon from the roof... and I was ready to go. Having everything prepped in plastic containers really helps me follow through with making lunch. I need it to be fast and brainless in the morning (after all, I'm operating without coffee at this point).

This morning before work I made a couple of really healthy burritos to take to work for lunch. I used Ezekiel wraps (Ezekiel makes some of the healthiest breads and wraps available and can be bought at Trader Joe's), I added some brown rice, shredded chicken, black beans, lettuce, a squirt of fresh lemon and salt. I bought avocados to include with this but they aren't ripe yet, so no avocados today.

The burritos turned out pretty good, but I think the avocados will help to make it more moist. Hopefully by tomorrow or the next day they will be ready for experimenting with. I like to eat alot, so I brought a container of brown rice and black beans as a side dish (and two burritos because the Ezekiel wraps aren't very big). I also brought 2 Cliff bars with me, although I haven't had to rip into them yet (a good sign that the burritos are both healthy and filling!).

I might also add some tomatoes next time I make this. I didn't have time this morning because my cat kept waking me up at 4am to feed him, and I was in a really crabby mood by the time I was ready to make my lunch.

I don't have a name for this lunch, but it's basically just a healthy brown rice, bean and grilled chicken burrito. Adding lemon juice is a nice touch, and you'll find you do not need nearly as much salt when you do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment