Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Slacker blogger



This week work has gotten the best of me and I have not been very good at posting. I had a choice - I could exercise at the end of the day, or write - and I chose exercise. When work gets crazy, exercise and nutrition are usually the first to things to go out the window for most people, but that's really when you need it most. So I made the choice to keep my sanity... and I figured since I only have 7 readers at this point - it doesn't really matter.

Fortunately this week I have at least been able to make some time to cook and not eat out. Last week I didn't spend one dollar on food items during the work week and I hope to continue that trend. Over the weekend I made a pasta salmon dish (using brown rice penne pasta). It had some fresh veggies, and was flavored with low sodium soy sauce (which really isn’t that low in sodium… but compared to a restaurant it is). I simmered the sodium in a skillet and added some blue agave nectar to thicken and sweeten it. The blue agave nectar is a great sweetner, it is low in sugar and really low in the glycemic index.

I also have been making some tasty wraps (the same ones I wrote about last week) with brown rice, avocados, lemon juice, greens, fresh parmesan cheese, chicken and marinara sauce (I added some marinara pasta sauce from a jar because I had nothing else available).

Last night I made fresh salmon on the grill (the pre-marinated Alaskan Salmon is back at Trader Joe’s!). Other than that I have been sticking with my trusty roast beef sandwiches on Ezekiel bread for lunches.

Another tasty snack that’s been doing the trick at work: Kashi puffs, mixed with non fat yogurt and fresh blueberries. Yummmmm.

If you’re reading the blog please comment! Simply click on the comment link below each post. You do not have to have a username to comment, but you will have to type in the bizarre cursive script to post comments (to prevent spammers).

2 comments:

  1. Great job on not spending $1 on food the entire week. We took the challenge of not eating out or grocery shopping for one week which forced us to work our way through the freezer and pantry.

    Good suggestions on snacks, Chris. We always have almonds on hand and now is a great time to take advantage of all the fruit that is in season. I cut up all the melon as soon as I get home so it is ready for me when the munchies strike.

    I would still need to spend a year in Ethiopia to get down to your weight! LOL

    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kyle! It was really hard not spending any money. I used to eat out all of the time... and around here you can easily drop $16 on lunch just for a burrito (once you tip). Add a couple trips to Gelson's every day for snacks and before you know it I'm spending $25 a day!

    I like your idea about eaitng what's in the pantry and freezer, I might have to try that one also.

    And ditto on the fruit - love this time of year for that. Hmmmm... a year long weight loss program in Ethiopia?? you might be onto a good business idea (or reality show).
    :)

    ReplyDelete