Friday, June 4, 2010

Yummy sandwich.

I've been promising to follow up on the post about staples for a week now... but the week got the best of me. Busy with work and training... this blogging thing takes a lot of time! sheesh. Anyway, I thought I'd post about the awesome sandwich I just made. First of all, I can't say enough good things about Ezekiel bread and tortillas. It's the only bread I'm going to buy from here on out. It is available at Trader Joe's in many different varieties, including low sodium, wheat free, etc. 


The type I am using is low sodium. I have always looked for bread that was free of high fructose corn syrup, but it wasn't until recently that I realized how much sodium is in most breads. It's actually pretty insane. A lot of people on diets that are "program diets" (from personal trainers,  or programs like Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, etc) are not looking out for sodium at all, but it's a major contributor to obesity, and also high blood pressure, and as I've posted about before - we eat dangerously high amounts of it.


This mornings sandwich includes two pieces of Ezekiel low sodium bread, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado (of course), roast beef, and light swiss (TJ's), with dijon mustard. The roast beef is from Trader Joe's also, nitrate free and unpreserved meat. Simple and delicious. Next time I might consider adding some sprouts.


The sandwich is yummy... I highly recommend you try one. It's definitely going to make it on the lunch menu next week. So, to tie this post back to the conversation about staples, I would say that there are a few things I probably will stop getting at Trader Joe's, despite the fact that I get most of my staples there... Avocados for one, they are usually too hard, and then ripen so fast you're left with a bunch of soft Avos.


Next, tomatoes are really not that great there, unless you buy the more expensive vine ripened tomatoes - but I think this is something I could do better with at Ralph's or another grocery store. Lately I've been disappointed to find that my favorite wild salmon hasn't been available either. They used to have a great pre-marinated wild caught Alaskan Salmon, but lately only the Sockeye Salmon has been available and it's not as good in my opinion (dry and fishy tasting). You could probably marinade it and make it taste good, but I never have the time. Produce in general is a bit spotty at TJ's.


Anyway, try the sandwich, it's a great healthy treat. Also, try out the Ezekiel sprouted grain tortillas, they are great also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment